Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Realizations

Well, I finally sat my ass down tonight and wrote about 2 pages.  About time!  I haven't written in about a month, and as much as I would like to attribute it to the double tooth extractions I had a few weeks ago, or the writer's block that I've been having, or to the busy-ness of my new schedule with my new hobby of glass etching which I take to craft fairs, really what it boils down to is straight up laziness.

My goal to write a little every has definitely fallen to the wayside over the past few weeks.  I have come to discover that I simply cannot write at home.  There are entirely too many distractions for me and I can't bring myself to ignore everything and sit down and write.  I tried writing at Starbucks and was able to churn out a solid few pages.  I decided that I need to not write at home.  I need to write somewhere else.  And my desire to write a little every day is just not going to happen.  I have a new routine, and in order to get my etching done, and go to the gym at least three times a week, I simply don't have anything left to write at night.  So, I have decided to devote Tuesdays and Thursdays to writing.

After work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am going to go somewhere in town right after work and write for an hour.  That puts me home around 6:30, which gives me plenty time to make dinner and wind down before I have to go bed.  I generally don't go to the gym on Tuesdays or Thursdays anyway, so I don't really feel the absence of home for that hour. 

I'm hoping this new routine will work out.  Today was day one, and I'm going to give it a few weeks.  If it doesn't work, I'll have to re-evaluate again.  But this is what life is about, right?  Trying new things, adapting, and finding something that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment